Depression is considered as the most common mood disorder in addition to the bipolar disorder that is characterized by persistent low mood.
The patient losses the interest of all daily activities; were he gets the feeling of sadness, depressed, low self-confidence and gets to minimize all family and social activities which might affect his thinking and emotions negatively hence preventing him from living his life normally. Suicidal thoughts are highly possible to increase in people with depression, or they might also get thoughts of killing others (up to 14% are infected). People can get infected with this disorder at any age, often at the age of twenties which is accompanied with the adolescence period.
To diagnose depression, a person must have the first 2 points in addition to 3 other symptoms for at least (two weeks):
– Sad mood with a negative look for life.
– Lack of joy and reduced interest in the positive things.
– Changes in the apetite which shows significant weight gain or loss.
– Feeling worthlessness or guilt.
– Insomnia (difficulty or excessive sleeping).
– Loss of concentration.
– Over reacting.
– Recurrent thoughts of death or suicide.
Causes of Depression:
Some of the main causes of depression include:
-The genetic factor: having a first-degree relatives with depression.
– Incidents that cause stress which includes the loss of a relative, financial or social crisis.
-Some prescripted medications.
-Stopping the usage of drugs and anabolic pills (once used for a long period).
Forms and types of Depression:
– Judgmental disorder: Acute emotional reaction due to a painful incident in life.
-Bipolar disorder: This kind involves serious shifts in moods, energy, thinking, and behavior.
-Partial depression: Less severe and difficult but more chronic than depression.
-Periodic mood disorder: A frequent disorder of judgments and perception of life.
-Postpartum depression: Women face this kind of depression after giving birth. The mother tend to lose her affection towards her baby and can’t take care of him or feed him.
-Psychosis depression: A severe kind of depression that might be accompanied with visual or hearing hallucinations or unexplained actions (seeing or hearing things that aren’t there).
-Schizophrenic affective disorder: A disease that combines depression and schizophrenia.
-Seasonal depression: A depression that some people often face during the winter season.
Treatment of Depression:
– Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors: Doctors prefer this type of medicine for its positive results that appear two weeks after taking the drug. This type of medication doesn’t cause significant complications or side effects. This type of medicine such as: Citalbram, Acetalbram, Fluoxetine, Paroxetine, Velazdon, Sertraline.
– Serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors: The second choice for most doctors. These drugs include: Duloxetine, Venlafaxine, Desvenlafaxine, Levomylacipran).
– Non-conventional antidepressants: This type of medicines is different from others including: bupropion, mirtazapine, nefazodone, trazodone, furoxetine.
– Tricyclic antidepressants: These medicines are very effective yet they tend to cause a lot of severe side effects; therefore, doctors don’t prescribe them until the other medicines are ineffective. These medicines include: Imipramine, Nortriptyline, Amitriptyline, Dexipine, Trimipramine, Desipramine, Protriptyline.
– Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitor: Such as: Tranylcypromine, Phenelzine, Isocarboxazid. The prescription of these medicines is recommended only at high necessity because it requires a harsh diet due to its direct interaction with cheese, pickles and other medications such as selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (very risky).
Psychotherapy or psychiatric rehabilitation is a type of therapy that is conducted by talking to a psychologist. Psychiatric treatment for depression is highly important after having the medical therapy.
With the use of the medicines; the depressed patient becomes physically and psychologically stable, and this is were the psychiatric rehabilitation treatment is highly important to help the patient adapt with the current situation and have better visions for the future. It is to teach him how to resolve his/her negative lifestyle and have a better positive thinking towards the family and community. One of the most imporatnt tools is for the patient to break the routine and attitude that mainly causes the depression and this is when the life changes begins.
Electroconvulsive treatment: Electroconvulsive therapy, for more click on the link.
Surface or deep cerebral stimulation alert: Main aim is to stimulate the centers responsible for producing Serotonin “known as the joy hormone”, for more click on the link.